In 1981, I rode my bicycle around the Eastern United States and Canada. Ride segments along the way included:
- Longmont, Colorado to Salina, Kansas;
- Salina, Kansas to Gainesville, Missouri;
- Gainesville, Missouri to Longboat Key, Florida;
- Longboat Key, Florida to Morgantown, West Virginia;
- Morgantown, West Virginia to Asbury Park, New Jersey;
- Asbury Park, New Jersey to Stamford, Connecticut;
- Stamford, Connecticut to Groton, Connecticut;
- Groton, Connecticut to Pemaquid Point, Maine;
- Pemaquid Point, Maine to Quebec, Canada;
- Quebec, Canada to Montreal, Canada;
- Montreal, Canada to Thunder Bay, Canada; train
- Thunder Bay, Canada to Duluth, Minnesota;
- Duluth, Minnesota to Cheyenne, Wyoming; bus
- Cheyenne, Wyoming to Longmont, Colorado
A sample log of my first day...
- 1982, spring I was hired as a Bicycle Mechanic at a local bicycle shop. I was promoted to Salesman at the same bicycle shop by mid-summer.
- 1983, I took a trip to New England, and rode across Connecticut, during the Fall, to see the trees changing colors.
- 1984 I was promoted to Assistant-Manager.
- 1985 I was promoted to Manager.
- 1985, I travelled by bicycle again, this time up to the Wonderful "Yellowstone National Park" ... I rode from Laramie, Wyoming to Centennial, Wyo, then caught a ride to Pinedale, Wyo. I rode from there to Yellowstone, where I did the lower loop, before returning to Jackson Hole. From Jackson Hole I caught a bus home, and while on the bus, Yellowstone got their first snow of the year, 14 inches!! Close!!
- Late 1985 I was laid off due to the local recession.
- 1987 and 1989 I toured as much of Southern Europe as I could, while in the US Navy. I was able to take about 10 1-day trips in Italy, Spain and France, and Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 1990, Upon leaving the Navy, I went back to the same shop as Sales Manager.
- 1991, I was promoted to Store Manager. I was laid off that Fall.
- 1992 Worked part time at another bike shop, assembling bikes.
- 1993-1997 Support mechanic for local charity bicycle rides.